BeckenhamTown.us

Biggest & best independent local community forum, directory, marketplace, events

Thanks for the mention today.The Harris results are also out today and are outstanding:

Crystal Palace held with 5A-C at 99%, 5A-C with English and Maths rose from 82% to 88% (national averasge 50 %)
South Norwood 5A-C went to 100% (was 38% three years ago) and with English and Maths rose from 42% to 60% (was 20% when Harris started three years ago).
Harris Purley  has been open for one year and 5A-C has hit 86% with 5A-C with English and Maths rising from 33% in the predecessor school to 47% now.
 
The KPSC results are also much improved this year (5 A-C 28%-46%)  and pupils should be rightly proud of themselves.
 
This however was achieved with the help of a huge amount of additional funding and special advisors,all of which has been withdrawn now; its not sustainable.
 
Our campaign is now getting emails from parents of children at Kelsey saying what a great opportunity Harris would have been for Kelsey, its an exciting time and deserves to be looked at.
 
If anyone wants further info or wants a copy of the letters we have from the DFE and Jonathan Hill the Academies Minister which confirms Harris is their prefered sponsor of the school please email :  fjmurphy@fsmail.net   or cazbateman@gmail.com
 

Views: 8027

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Well now your discussion is up and running and I hope you get many replies here. Also the Events' section on the site is FREE (as is all the site) to add another place about the meeting's details on the 20th July.

Each time someone replies on a discussion or any other interactive page on the website it appears notably on the home page's timeline section and so visible to the 60-80 people a day locally who view the site with plenty more (730+) keeping up to date with latest news/info/requests/help on our twitter feed http://Twitter.com/Beckenham

If you need any help just ask on the new discussion I set up too Website Questions, Help and Info

All the best, Jon
Thanks for the info Jon

Jon Clarke said:
Well now your discussion is up and running and I hope you get many replies here. Also the Events' section on the site is FREE (as is all the site) to add another place about the meeting's details on the 20th July.

Each time someone replies on a discussion or any other interactive page on the website it appears notably on the home page's timeline section and so visible to the 60-80 people a day locally who view the site with plenty more (730+) keeping up to date with latest news/info/requests/help on our twitter feed http://Twitter.com/Beckenham

If you need any help just ask on the new discussion I set up too Website Questions, Help and Info

All the best, Jon
Hi as a parent of 2 boys one in Harris City Academy Crystal palace and one in Kelsey Park Sports College I hope that you can understand my concern that this is the first I have heard about this.I did not apply for Kelsey for my younger son as it has such a bad name,but my son has just completed year 7 and has had a great first year and I hope go on to have many more.I would like to know more about this Co-Ed Harris Academy that did not happen as i think that this would be a wonderful opportunity, my eldest son has been very lucky to be a pupil at Harris it is a wonderful school and it would be nice for Kelsey to be given the same chance as Harris did all those years ago when it was a failing school under a different name.Please could you send me the information you have on this subject.
Thankyou Chris Leggatt
Chris Leggatt said:
Hi as a parent of 2 boys one in Harris City Academy Crystal palace and one in Kelsey Park Sports College I hope that you can understand my concern that this is the first I have heard about this.I did not apply for Kelsey for my younger son as it has such a bad name,but my son has just completed year 7 and has had a great first year and I hope go on to have many more.I would like to know more about this Co-Ed Harris Academy that did not happen as i think that this would be a wonderful opportunity, my eldest son has been very lucky to be a pupil at Harris it is a wonderful school and it would be nice for Kelsey to be given the same chance as Harris did all those years ago when it was a failing school under a different name.Please could you send me the information you have on this subject.
Thankyou Chris Leggatt
Hello Chris,thank you for your reply. Apologies I am new to this site,my email is fjmurphy@fsmail.net Would you send me an email directly,I can then forward you more info.This is gathering pace and many parents have contacted us.Briefly,I have an email from the Dept of Education (I will forward you it)stating that last year the DFE wanted Harris to have the school,Bromley Council favoured a combination of several sponsers with the council as a "co sponser",the talks fell apart as they could not agree.There is still a chance this could go through but needs LOTS of parental support.Please give evryone interested my email,email me and I will forward you more info,I am also in contact with Dr Dan Moynihan,CEO of all the Harris schools,he wants to hear the views of all local parents.Hope to talk soon,Fiona

Fiona Murphy said:
Chris Leggatt said:
Hi as a parent of 2 boys one in Harris City Academy Crystal palace and one in Kelsey Park Sports College I hope that you can understand my concern that this is the first I have heard about this.I did not apply for Kelsey for my younger son as it has such a bad name,but my son has just completed year 7 and has had a great first year and I hope go on to have many more.I would like to know more about this Co-Ed Harris Academy that did not happen as i think that this would be a wonderful opportunity, my eldest son has been very lucky to be a pupil at Harris it is a wonderful school and it would be nice for Kelsey to be given the same chance as Harris did all those years ago when it was a failing school under a different name.Please could you send me the information you have on this subject.
Thankyou Chris Leggatt
We need to put some context around this debate. As I understand it, although there were discussions over KPSC becoming an Academy, these never really got beyond the exploratory stage. The College failed to meet the criteria of the previous government (results not bad enough) and fails to meet the criteria of the current government (results not good enough). Academy status (Harris or otherwise) is not an immediate guarantor of improved standards. You have to compare like with like. Academies have received, unfairly I believe, higher funding and new buildings. Harris schools select their intake - quite fairly, by banding - but Kelsey is not allowed to balance its intake. What KPSC achieves with it's unbalanced intake will be superior to some Academies with a more balanced intake. Academically gifted students do well at Kelsey. There are just fewer of them. Also many Academies offer a reduced curriculum. According to its web site, Harris South Norwood, for instance, offers no modern foreign languages at GCSE level, there are also a large number of Btec exams rather than GCSE's. In a single subject, these can rate as up to 4 A* - C grades at GCSE and are thought to boost the published results of schools that take them. Some parents still see these exams as a softer, less academic option. Harris South Norwood also teaches Btecs in Construction and Hospitality. Possibly a strength but all these variations make the 5A* - C figures difficult to compare. Incidentally, as a governor at KPSC I am confident that the results are sustainable.
Dear Cllr Getgood

We have had over 100 emails over the summer from people excited about the possibility of a co-ed Harris Academy on the Kelsey site, including mails from parents of children at Kelsey,its an exciting time for all Beckenham parents and important enough,I am sure you will agree,to be debated. We are organising a meeting soon and inviting Dr Moynihan ,CEO of all the Harris schools to come and speak.We will also be inviting Cllr Noad,he could, if he wishes bring along someone from the LDA academy scheme he continues to favour as being the correct academy providor for the school.

Thanks again

Cllr John Getgood, Penge & Cator ward said:
We need to put some context around this debate. As I understand it, although there were discussions over KPSC becoming an Academy, these never really got beyond the exploratory stage. The College failed to meet the criteria of the previous government (results not bad enough) and fails to meet the criteria of the current government (results not good enough). Academy status (Harris or otherwise) is not an immediate guarantor of improved standards. You have to compare like with like. Academies have received, unfairly I believe, higher funding and new buildings. Harris schools select their intake - quite fairly, by banding - but Kelsey is not allowed to balance its intake. What KPSC achieves with it's unbalanced intake will be superior to some Academies with a more balanced intake. Academically gifted students do well at Kelsey. There are just fewer of them. Also many Academies offer a reduced curriculum. According to its web site, Harris South Norwood, for instance, offers no modern foreign languages at GCSE level, there are also a large number of Btec exams rather than GCSE's. In a single subject, these can rate as up to 4 A* - C grades at GCSE and are thought to boost the published results of schools that take them. Some parents still see these exams as a softer, less academic option. Harris South Norwood also teaches Btecs in Construction and Hospitality. Possibly a strength but all these variations make the 5A* - C figures difficult to compare. Incidentally, as a governor at KPSC I am confident that the results are sustainable.
Hi Fiona,
I do feel that Kelsey has been overlooked and to alot of people not important enough to give it the help required to be a good higher achieving school,not that I am belittling what they do achieve! I think that the staff and boys have done an incredible job in showing people what they can achieve with the support that so many other schools take for granted but that Kelsey have to fight for all the way.I say to Kelsey keep up the good work I for 1 think that you are doing a brilliant job considering all that you have to deal with.
Chris.
Dear Cllr Getwood,

You state in your response that you think the results KPSC got this year are sustainable but how do you think this will be achieved?

The results this year have been impressive and are a huge improvement on previous results and the pupils, staff and governors should be very proud of what has been achieved. Having said that, if these results have been achieved through extra funding and this funding has now been cut, how will you be able to sustain these results? I understand that boys received almost one on one tuition this year but surely that isn't sustainable?

Hello again

Another couple of points...I do not know what subjects Harris South Norwood offer, what I do know is it is oversubscribed and Ofsted Outstanding.Parents concerned about options could come along and ask Dr Moynihan questions at the meeting we are organising.What I can say with certainty is Harris Crystal Palace offers the International Baccalaurate,a qualification presently only available in Grammer or Private schools in Bromley.
On the more general point of addmissions or banding, Bromley Council could band pupils,its in the addmissions policy but Bromley Council chose not to use it.I think this is missing the point,KPSC needs more addmissions generally,the school is nowhere near full,surely a provider who would encourage more local people back to the school should be encouraged? As I said the pupils should be very proud of themselves this year but parents are not putting the school on the form,Bromley should be asking why.

I have worked in the College and do believe the performance can be sustained. The College has recruited new staff and these are being supported and will continue to receive support. As a school in challenging curcumstances the College does receive extra funding and this will vary from year to year. That money has been used to restructure some areas of the school and imbed improved teaching and learning. That is sustainable. Talk of one-to-one tuition is, I am afraid, not true. It may have happened in special or limited circumstances or for pupils with special needs but that should be the same in every school.

Academies, under the Labour Gvt. scheme, were given 3 advantages denied to Kelsey Park. A new building, extra funding and greater power over admissions. With those advantages, the question to ask is why all Academies haven't been a success. If all schools in similar circumstances were given the same advantages, the attraction of an Academy would diminish.

It's very sad that school gate prejudice is preventing boys who would do very well at Kelsey from applying. We have to continue to work hard to over come that prejudice. If more supportive parents such as yourselves were prepared to look seriously at the school and join the other parents of high achievers who have celebrated success at Kelsey, results would improve immediately. That is the future for Kelsey in the mid term. Even if Academy staus was thought to be the answer, neither the previous nor the current government have made that offer.
Hi Cllr Getgood,
I think it unfair of you to say parents are prejudiced, as we live in a democracy, Bromley Council should be listening to what parents want.
Also you complain about banding,Bromley Council could start banding children tomorrow,it is in the admission code but Bromley Council choose not to use it.
Councilor Noad, unlike you does say he wants an Academy solution for KPSC,he wants the new Boris Johnston Academy scheme,I will be interested to see what subject choices the vocational mayoral Acedemy offers and I can assure you, from letters we have from the DFE and the Academies team this is very much ongoing.
Anyone interested in this general issue should come along to the CYP meeting on the 7th Sep at 7pm at Bromley Civic Centre.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

CREATE YOUR OWN UNIQUE PROFILE PHOTO WITH 

@FACES2ONE iOS FREE APP

Hire for private events!

CLICK HERE -

Sapore Vero On The Road

Photos

  • Add Photos
  • View All

List in our Local Directory

Local Services

- Accountancy & Bookkeeping

- Advertising Services

- Architects & Designers

- Arts & Illustrators

- Bars, Pubs, Clubs

- Beauty & Health Salon/Mobile/Home Parties

- Boutiques & Personal Shoppers

- Bridal & Wedding

- Builders & Decorators

- Business Services

- Cake & Bakers

- Carpenters

- Car Sales, Dealers & Parts

- Cleaning Services

- Computer Services

- Counselling & Psychotherapy

- Crafts

- Dentists

- DJ & Music Services

- Drainage & Guttering

- Dressmakers & Seamstresses

- Driving Schools & Instructors

- Electricians

- Emergency Services

- Entertainment & Days Out

- Estate & Letting Agents

- Family, Parents, Children, Baby

- Financial Services

- Fire Security Locksmiths Alarms

- Flooring

- Food & Drink

- Foreign Exchange

- Funerals & Undertakers

- Garages & Mechanics

- Gardeners & Fencers

- Glaziers, Windows, Glass

- Hairdressers

- Health, Hospitals, Doctors, Dentists

- Home Improvements

- House Clearance

- Hypnotherapy

- Jobs, HR & Recruitment

- Keep Fit, Gym & Dance

- Kitchens Bathrooms & Fitters

- Management Agents

- Mobility Services

- Money Transfer & Loans

- Mortgage Brokers/Advice

- Nannies & Baby Sitters

- Party Services, Halls/Venues, Entertainers

- Pest Control/Exterminators

- Plumbers & Boiler Engineers

- Photographers

- Plasterers

Printers & Copiers

- Religion

- Removals

- Restaurants

- Restorers

- SHOPS - Local & Online

- Slimming & Weightloss

- Sports

- Solicitors

- Surveyors

- Takeaways

- Taxi, Mini Cab, Chauffeur & Car Hire

- Teachers and Tutors

- Topiary & Hedges

- Utilities

- Vets and Pets

- Video & Film Services

- Voluntary Services

- WIFI places

If there is a category that you'd like just ask Jon the owner for it :-)

© 2017   Created by Jon Clarke.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

Your SEO optimized title page contents